LiD in Action
Shannon Shields, a school principal, has written an interesting account of the Learning in Depth program in her school.
You can read her article, "Engaging Curiosity," by clicking here. Shannon has now moved on to another school and plans to introduce LiD there as well.
Here are some of the benefits she identifies as flowing from the program:
From observations and conversations, we found many benefits for our learners, myself as their teacher, and our entire school.
I have observed our learners benefit from:
- being given the opportunity to learn very deeply about something, as opposed to the relatively more shallow knowledge gained as teachers try to cover the many learning outcomes for any given year
- high engagement levels as the decisions about where to take their learning are very personal
- knowing that they are accomplishing the learning on their own and seeing the confidence and pride in that knowledge
- learning to get organized as they are learning how to find, qualify, and sort information
- being given the opportunity to learn what their preferences and strengths are for learning
For myself as their teacher, I have enjoyed and am enjoying:
- learning along with our students, modelling inquiry and enthusiasm for discoveries
- the removal of pressures from grading which frees up more time for supporting and coaching learning
- seeing the students excited about their learning, it engages me as well
- seeing the possibilities inherent in enabling our learners to become more self directed
The school as a whole is profiting from:
- having younger and older learners who have related topics, collaborating and mentoring each other
- the idea that the school will, over time, have learners who are very knowledgeable about a wide array of topics
- the enthusiasm, pride and growing confidence of the students
- the interest and professional learning it has inspired in our teachers, enriching the culture of the school
- the potential to involve mentors from the community and beyond with learners and their projects